Apple Gate

Upper Black Lake, Photo by Richard Stenzel

2016 Calendar

 This calendar is the twelfth in a series of historic project calendars that Applegate Group has distributed since 2005. Applegate Group believes that water is Colorado’s most valuable resource and it is important that we all know the history of Colorado’s water project developments. The importance of obtaining a water right in Colorado for beneficial purposes has been recognized since the late 1800’s. Applegate Group is pleased to share the 2016 Colorado's Historic Water Projects Calendar with you.

December
Lemon Dam & Reservoir
The Lemon Dam is 284 feet high with a crest length of 1,360 feet and stores water from the Florida River. Both the Lemon Dam and Reservoir were completed in December 1963. The dam and reservoir are located approximately four miles northwest of Bayfield, Colorado. Lemon Reservoir is approximately one-half mile wide and three miles long with a maximum water surface area of 622 acres. Water released from Lemon Reservoir is used by the Florida Canal and Florida Farmers Ditch for the irrigation of 12,500 acres of land. Several other small ditches also take delivery of the water for the irrigation of 1,250 acres of farm land. Portions of the canal system have been recently lined thereby reducing seepage losses and allowing that water to remain in the reservoir for use as needed.
January
Boedecker & Buckingham Lakes
The Consolidated Home Supply Ditch and Reservoir Company (CHS) and its system divert water from the Big Thompson River west of the City of Loveland. The CHS was formed in 1882 and delivers water for agricultural purposes through its system of ditches and reservoirs located in Larimer and Weld Counties. CHS was formed from the consolidation of the Home Supply Reservoir Company and the Home Supply Ditch Company. The CHS had good storage water rights, but poor direct flow river water rights. CHS purchased the George Rist Ditch in the late 1880s which served its shareholders by delivering water to Boedecker Lake (aka Mariano Reservoir) and also to the Buckingham Irrigation Company by delivering water to Buckingham Lake (aka Rist Reservoir). Boedecker Lake is used as an exchange reservoir by releasing water to the Big Thompson River to downstream calling water rights, which then allows the Home Supply Ditch to divert water when its junior water rights would otherwise be out of priority.
February
Pinewood Reservoir and Rattlesnake Dam
Pinewood Reservoir is located west of Carter Lake at an elevation of 6,580 feet. The reservoir is part of the Colorado-Big Thompson (C-BT) Project operated by the Bureau of Reclamation and the Northern Colorado Water Conservancy District. Construction of the reservoir began in 1951 and was completed in 1952. Originally known as Rattlesnake Reservoir because of its location in Rattlesnake Park, the reservoir’s name was officially changed to Pinewood in 1966. Pinewood Reservoir has a capacity of 2,181 acre-feet. Pinewood is a popular boating, fishing and camping area. However, because of its role in regulating power demand, the reservoir’s water level does vary. Water flows from Pinewood Reservoir through the Bald Mountain Tunnel and down the Flatiron Penstocks into the Flatiron Power Plant. Water from the power plant is discharged into Flatiron Reservoir where it can either be pumped to Carter Lake or sent north to Horsetooth Reservoir.
March
Cripple Creek Numbers 2 & 3 Reservoirs
Cripple Creek Number 2 Reservoir is shown above in the foreground. Both reservoirs are on the West Fork of West Beaver Creek. The West Beaver Creek Watershed is a tributary to the Upper Arkansas River basin and lies within the South Pikes Peak Watershed area. The reservoirs are located between 4.5 and 5.3 miles northeast of the City of Cripple Creek. The City of Cripple Creek obtains its water supply from these two reservoirs by means of a water transmission pipeline system to the Cripple Creek water treatment plant.
April
Wrights Reservoir and Pisgah Dam
Wrights Reservoir and Pisgah Dam are located in Teller County and operated by the Pisgah Reservoir and Ditch Company. The reservoir was constructed on Fourmile Creek in 1911 and has a storage capacity of 2,192 acre-feet. After release of water from the reservoir, Fourmile Creek conveys the Company’s water to the Arkansas River, where it passes through Pueblo Reservoir before being diverted to the Company’s shareholders through the Catlin Canal. The Pisgah Reservoir and Ditch Company provides raw water for the irrigation of approximately 20,000 acres of agricultural land across an 18-mile stretch from Manzanola to La Junta. Primary shareholders include Catlin Canal Company, Canon Heights Irrigation and Reservoir Company, Park Center Water District, City of Rocky Ford, and Colorado Parks and Wildlife.
May
Paonia Dam
Paonia Dam and Reservoir was constructed by the Bureau of Reclamation and is located on Muddy Creek about one mile upstream of its junction with Anthracite Creek which then form the North Fork of the Gunnison River. The reservoir is located approximately 17 miles northeast of the Town of Paonia, Colorado. Paonia Reservoir has a total capacity of 20,950 acre-feet and an active capacity of 18,150 acre-feet. The project supplies water to the Fire Mountain Canal during the summer and fall when their direct flow rights are out of priority. A wide variety of crops are grown in the service area including grapes for wine making, fruits, vegetables, herbs, hops, and hay for livestock. Camping, hunting, picnicking, and water sports are available at Paonia Reservoir. Recreation facilities are administered by the Colorado Division of Parks and Wildlife. Flood dangers on North Fork River are reduced by emptying the reservoir each year and by reserving storage space through forecasts of snowmelt runoff, and regulation of flood flows. The Paonia Reservoir has 2,280 acre-feet of capacity assigned for flood control.
June
La Jara Reservoir SWA
La Jara Reservoir State Wildlife Area (SWA) is located in Conejos County, Colorado approximately 27 miles south of the Town of Del Norte, Colorado. La Jara Reservoir State Wildlife Area is approximately 2,613 acres. This State Wildlife Area offers recreation, fishing and water fowl hunting. The reservoir has a storage capacity of 14,056 acre-feet and was originally constructed in 1908 by the Terrace Irrigation District for the purpose of providing water for agriculture and domestic purposes. It is currently owned by the Colorado Division of Parks and Wildlife.
July
Road Canyon Number 1 SWA
Road Canyon Reservoir Number 1, constructed in 1908, is in the headwaters of Rio Grande River. Road Canyon Reservoir Number 1 State Wildlife Area (SWA) is located 15 miles southwest of Creede, Colorado in Hinsdale County, at an elevation of 9,334 feet. The reservoir has storage capacity of 1,367 acre-feet. Recreation, fishing and boating, and water fowl hunting is allowed at the reservoir. The reservoir was constructed by the Lost Lakes Fish Hatchery Company for the purpose of providing irrigation water. It is currently owned by the Colorado Division of Parks and Wildlife.
August
Lake John Reservoir SWA
Lake John Reservoir SWA (State Wildlife Area) has been managed by the Division of Wildlife since the 1960’s and is located 10 miles northwest of Walden, Colorado. Lake John is 565 acres in size with a storage capacity of 6,522 acre-feet. It is a state wildlife area operated by the Colorado Division of Parks and Wildlife and provides quality fishing for rainbow, cutthroat, and brown trout. The lake was constructed in 1955 by the Colorado Division of Wildlife for the purposes of wildlife, fish propagation and recreation.
September
Narraguinnep Reservoir SWA
Narraguinnep Reservoir SWA (State Wildlife Area) is located in Montezuma County about 1 ½ miles west of McPhee Reservoir, and west of Dolores, Colorado. The original dam and reservoir was constructed in 1868 by the Montezuma Water and Land Company and had a storage capacity of 5,969 acre-feet. The Montezuma Valley Irrigation District (MVID) acquired the original irrigation system in 1907, and in 1920, the Montezuma Valley Irrigation Company (MVIC) was created and took over the irrigation system. Narraguinnep Reservoir has been enlarged from its original capacity and today has a storage capacity of 18,960 acre-feet. Narraguinnep Reservoir is one of the sources of irrigation water for MVIC. The Colorado Division of Parks and Wildlife operates the State Wildlife Area and the activities that exist at the reservoir, which include fishing, water fowl and wildlife.
October
Grand Valley Power Plant
The Grand Valley Power plant is located about one mile south of Palisade, Colorado at the lower end of the Orchard Mesa Power Canal and adjacent to the Orchard Mesa Pumping Plant. The plant operates under a maximum head of 79 feet and has a capacity of 3,000 kilowatts. The Public Service Company of Colorado operates and maintains the plant under a rental agreement with the United States and the Grand Valley Water Users Association. Power generation averages approximately 19,350,600 kilowatt-hours annually. Water for project use is diverted into the Government Highline Canal at the Grand Valley Project Diversion Dam, about 23 miles northeast of Grand Junction. Approximately 4.6 miles below the main diversion, water for the Orchard Mesa Power Canal is diverted from the canal. This water passes through the Orchard Mesa Siphon under the Colorado River and Interstate 70. The Orchard Mesa Power Canal then delivers water to the Grand Valley Power Plant and to the Orchard Mesa Pumping Plant where it is pumped into Orchard Mesa Canals No. 1 and 2 for distribution to the water users. The water released from the power plant is either released back to the Colorado River or diverted by the Grand Valley Irrigation Company during low flow periods through operation of the Orchard Mesa check structure.
November
Homestake Reservoir
The Homestake Reservoir is a 43,600 acre-foot reservoir located in southern Eagle County in the Colorado River basin approximately 13 miles northwest of Leadville, Colorado. The Homestake Water Collection and Storage System is jointly operated by the Cities of Aurora and Colorado Springs. The Homestake trans-mountain diversion system collects water from several tributaries of Homestake Creek and stores water in Homestake Reservoir for subsequent delivery through the 5.2 mile Homestake Tunnel under the continental divide into Turquoise Reservoir. Homestake Dam is a 230-foot high asphalt concrete (AC)-faced rockfill dam that was constructed from 1965 through 1967. At the time of its construction, the dam was the sixth highest AC-faced rockfill dam in the world. It is one of only 30 dams of its type in the United States. The Homestake Dam underwent scheduled maintenance in 2012. A large portion of that work involved milling and repaving the dam face by lowering a paving machine down the embankment using a winch. The job could be likened to paving a parking lot at a 35° angle. The rehabilitation work was completed in the fall of 2014.
December
Worster Reservoir aka Eaton Reservoir
Worster Reservoir, constructed in 1907, is located on the North Fork of the Cache la Poudre River 26 miles southwest of Laramie, Wyoming and four miles from the Wyoming border. The Wilson Ditch diverts water to the reservoir from the Sand Creek Basin and into Sheep Creek, which is a tributary to the North Fork of the Cache la Poudre. The reservoir has a storage capacity of 3,750 acrefeet. The Divide Reservoir & Canal Company, which is an affiliate of the Larimer Weld (L&W) Irrigation Company, owns 60% of the reservoir and the remaining 40% is owned by the Tri-Districts Water Company. The service area for L&W Irrigation Company extends from north of Fort Collins east near the Town of Galeton. There are approximately 63,500 acres of irrigation under this system. The Tri- Districts Water Company provides water to the East Larimer County, Fort Collins-Loveland and the North Weld County Water Districts.